Home » Posts tagged "上海夜网NO"

Update on the latest in sports:

first_imgUNDATED (AP) — Tiz the Law looks every bit like the best 3-year-old in the world and is the Triple Crown favorite, even with the races being run out of their normal order.It’ll take something spectacular Saturday from a watered-down field to prevent him from becoming the first New York-bred horse to win the Belmont Stakes in over 130 years. Tiz the Law has the same owners and trainer as Funny Cide, who fell just short of the Triple Crown in 2003.A Belmont win would complete 82-year-old trainer Barclay Tagg’s personal Triple Crown and make Tiz the Law the front-runner for the Sept. 5 Kentucky Derby. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditVIRUS OUTBREAK-TENNIS-US OPEN‘Watch it on TV’: Gov. Cuomo OKs no-fan US Open tennis in NYNEW YORK (AP) — New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has given the go-ahead Tuesday for the U.S. Open tennis tournament to be held in his state starting in late August — but without spectators — as part of the reopening from shutdowns caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Update on the latest in sports: June 16, 2020 “You can watch it on TV, and I’ll take that,” Cuomo said at his daily briefing in Albany.Now that the U.S. Tennis Association’s proposal to hold its marquee event has been accepted — including a “bubble” setup with designated hotels, limited player entourages and a facility closed to the hundreds of thousands of people who usually attend the U.S. Open — the key question becomes: Who actually will end up competing on the blue hard courts in Flushing Meadows from Aug. 31 to Sept. 13?Some of the sport’s top names, including defending U.S. Open men’s champion Rafael Nadal along with No. 1-ranked players Novak Djokovic and Ash Barty, have expressed reservations about heading somewhere that was a hot spot for the COVID-19 outbreak.VIRUS OUTBREAK-MLB-YANKEESYankees president urges resumption of talks NEW YORK (AP) — New York Yankees President Randy Levine has called on the players’ association to resume negotiations with Major League Baseball to start the pandemic-delayed season.Levine said the money difference between the feuding sides was not the primary obstacle but rather issues such as health and safety protocols and determining how to deal with a second wave of the new coronavirus.MLB has made three proposals, the last for a 72-game season starting July 14 that would guarantee about $1.23 billion. The union made offered two plans, the last for an 89-game schedule starting July 10 and salaries of $2.25 billion.VIRUS OUTBREAK-NFLOhio governor questions holding August Hall of Fame weekend Botterill was fired three seasons into his tenure and after the Sabres failed to show any signs of improvement in extending what’s now a nine-year playoff drought.With a 30-31-8 record, Buffalo finished 13th in the Eastern Conference standings and one spot short of qualifying for the NHL’s expanded 24-team playoff.VIRUS OUTBREAK-NASCARDale Jarrett announces coronavirus diagnosis during TV showUNDATED (AP) — NASCAR Hall of Famer Dale Jarrett says he has tested positive for coronavirus and now is in quarantine. The three-time Daytona 500 winner and 1999 Cup champion made the announcement during NBCSN’s Hall of Fame announcement show on Tuesday.The 63-year-old Jarrett told viewers that was why he didn’t return to the television studio with the rest of the crew. He says the only symptom he has is a slight cough that he’s has gotten better each day since his test last week.NASCAR HALL OF FAMEEarnhardt Jr. headlines NASCAR’s 2021 Hall of Fame classUNDATED (AP) — Longtime fan favorite Dale Earnhardt Jr. will join his late father in NASCAR’s Hall of Fame next year, the feature attraction in the class of 2021. His squad was in third place in the Western Conference when the season was halted. The league is working on completing the health and safety protocols for a restart at the Disney campus near Orlando, Florida.Malone says, “I hope that going down to Orlando will be in a safe environment and we can limit the amount of people that actually get it.”In other NBA news:— Bam Adebayo thinks injuries could be more prevalent than usual when the NBA gets back on the floor next month, given the demands that will be on players’ bodies after a long layoff. Miami’s All-Star center is also thinking about the financial risks. Adebayo confirmed Tuesday that he is among five players — a group who could soon graduate from rookie contracts to extensions worth in excess of $100 million — seeking assurances from the NBA about if they’ll be protected in the case of catastrophic injury when the season resumes at the Disney campus near Orlando, Florida.— Here’s some of what awaits NBA players going to Disney next month: game rooms, golf course access, cabanas with misters to combat the heat, fishing areas, bowling, backstage tours and salon services. It only sounds like vacation. The NBA described very specific plans to players and teams for the restart on Tuesday, doing so in a memo and handbook both obtained by The Associated Press. With safety being of the foremost importance during the coronavirus pandemic, players were told they will be tested regularly and must adhere to strict physical distancing and mask-wearing policies. Nuggets coach says he had COVID-19DENVER (AP) — Denver Nuggets coach Michael Malone says an antibody test revealed he had COVID-19.Malone says in an interview with CBS4 in Denver he wasn’t feeling well shortly after the season was suspended March 11. He reached out to the team’s medical staff to be tested but no tests were available at the time. Malone says he had an antibody test around Memorial Day weekend.Malone says the team doctor called up and told him he’d tested positive.Malone adds that he likes to say, “I got coronavirus and I kicked its butt.” NHL-SABRES-BOTTERILLSabres fire GM BotterillBUFFALO, N.Y. (AP) — The Buffalo Sabres have fired general manager Jason Botterill in a dramatic change-of-course three weeks after co-owner Kim Pegula said his job was secure.The Sabres promoted senior vice president of business administration Kevyn Adams as Botterill’s successor.Botterill’s dismissal represents a major reversal for the Pegulas, coming three weeks after Kim Pegula told The Associated Press: “He’s our GM. Our plan is to continue with him.” CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) — The University of Virginia will change its athletics logos to avoid a design element that refers to the school’s history with slavery.A statement from the school’s athletics department said Monday that fans raised objections to the curves put on the handles of the crossed sabres below the V. The curves were meant to mimic serpentine walls on campus that were designed by Thomas Jefferson to hide the university’s slaves from public view.The school’s athletics director says she was made aware of the negative connotation. She says the new logos remove the curves on the sabre handles. NFL NEWSPro Bowl moves to Las Vegas; Giants kicker arrested Jerome Boateng played a perfectly weighed ball over the defense for Robert Lewandowski to control on his chest and hit past the goalkeeper for his 31st Bundesliga goal this season.In other international soccer news:— Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola is worried that Premier League players are risking injury by returning after an “incredible lack of preparation” and has no idea what to expect when his team plays Arsenal on Wednesday. The top English clubs are resuming play after as little as three weeks of contact training following the lockdown caused by the coronavirus outbreak. Guardiola’s team is facing a game every three or four days in an effort to finish the domestic season by Aug. 1. Guardiola said he does know which players are ready to play at the top level and will have to rotate “absolutely all the players.”HORSE RACING-BELMONTTiz the Law is class of Belmont field, Triple Crown favorite Junior won 26 races during his Cup career, including two Daytona 500s and the 2001 Pepsi 400 — four months after his father’s death at the same track in February.The late Mike Stefanik also was elected along with Red Farmer from the pioneer ballot. Ralph Seagraves was chosen as the Landmark Award winner for outstanding contributions to the sport.AMERICA PROTESTSOklahoma St. coach Gundy apologizes for wearing OAN T-shirtOKLAHOMA CITY (AP) — One day after Oklahoma State running back Chuba Hubbard lashed out at coach Mike Gundy on social media for wearing a T-shirt promoting a far-right news channel, Gundy apologized. LAS VEGAS (AP) — The Pro Bowl is headed to Las Vegas.The NFL announced Tuesday that the 2021 all-star game will be played at the new Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas on Sunday, Jan. 31 — one week before the Super Bowl in Tampa.Plans include what the league calls a week-long celebration of football, and will include NFL FLAG Championship games and a Pro Bowl skills showdown in which players compete in a variety of events. There will be community and charity initiatives as well.In other NFL news:— Alcohol is suspected in a hit-and-run crash that led to the arrest of New York Giants kicker Aldrick Rosas in Northern California. According to the California Highway Patrol, Rosas failed to stop for a red light and plowed his Chevrolet SUV into the side of a pickup truck Monday in the city of Chico. The CHP says Rosas kept driving and then walked away from the SUV when it broke down. He was arrested a short time later on suspicion of hit-and-run and driving on a suspended license. CANTON, Ohio (AP) — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine says it’s “highly unlikely” that crowds of 20,000 or so would be allowed for the Pro Football Hall of Fame game and induction ceremony in August.DeWine says: “If the question was could that event occur today, the answer would be no. It would be extremely dangerous.”The hall is still evaluating its options and said no decisions have been made about the Aug. 6 game at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium between Dallas and Pittsburgh, nor for the enshrinements two nights later.The hall reopened to a limited number of fans last week.  VIRUS OUTBREAK-NBA VIRUS OUTBREAK-NHLTrudeau says he’s open to ‘hub city’ ideaOTTAWA (AP) — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says his government is “open” to the NHL operating a playoff “hub city” in Canada as long as it is allowed by local health authorities.If the NHL returns to play amid the coronavirus pandemic this summer, it would start with the playoffs and with 24 teams, preferably split between two hub cities.The league has narrowed down its potential sites to 10 cities, including Toronto, Edmonton and Vancouver in Canada. The NHL has said it will not choose a Canadian city if players are subject to the 14-day quarantine currently in effect at the border.  Hubbard, who is black, suggested Monday he may boycott the program after Gundy was photographed wearing a T-shirt promoting the One America News Network, a cable channel and website that has been critical of the Black Lives Matter movement and praised by President Donald Trump.On Monday evening, Hubbard and Gundy appeared in a video together, with Gundy saying he would make changes.Gundy, who is white, took it a step further on Tuesday, saying “Black lives matter to me. Our players matter to me.”UVA-LOGOUniversity of Virginia changes logo to remove slavery reference In 1967, he went 22-10, leading the league in wins, and posted a 2.85 ERA. He completed 14 games and five shutouts and was the first San Francisco pitcher to win the Cy Young Award.SOCCERBayern Munich wins 8th straight Bundesliga titleBREMEN, Germany (AP) — Bayern Munich has secured its eighth successive German Bundesliga title with two games to spare after beating Werder Bremen 1-0 with a goal from Robert Lewandowski.The win on a wet night in Bremen put Bayern 10 points clear of second-place Borussia Dortmund, which can earn a maximum nine points from its three remaining games. Associated Press MLB-OBIT-McCORMICKCy Young Award winner Mike McCormick deadCORNELIUS, N.C. (AP) — Former National League Cy Young award winner Mike McCormick has died at age 81.The San Francisco Giants say McCormick died at his home in North Carolina after a long battle with Parkinson’s disease.McCormick played 16 years in the majors from 1956 to 1971 with the Giants, Orioles, Senators, Yankees and Royals. He had a 134-128 record with a 3.73 ERA with his greatest accomplishments coming with the Giants.  last_img read more

Continue reading »

Sumner County Court Docket updates: Blansett, Kitch, Anderson-Stiles, Myers, Peters

first_imgCharles KitchCharles E. Kitch, Jr. — The perpetrator of an attack on a prominent Wellington attorney at his home on Feb. 23, 2014 is scheduled to have a review hearing at the State Security Hospital in Larned on Thursday at 2 p.m. Kitch is accused of entering the premises of Jack Potucek at 1023 N. Washington in Wellington and entering a screened back porch, where he attacked Potucek’s head with a rock causing extensive bleeding and later internal bleeding. Since then Kitch was ordered a competency evaluation by Judge Mott in May. After the competency evaluation was conducted it was determined he was incompetent to stand trial in the Forensic Evaluation Report on July 23, 2014 and he was committed to State Security Hospital in Larned where he has been in custody ever since.On October 21, Sumner County Attorney Kerwin Spencer amended the charges. Kitch is now charged with aggravated burglary, a level 5 felony; criminal trespass, a Class B misdemeanor; aggravated battery (knowingly causing great bodily harm), a level 4 felony; or aggravated battery (recklessly causing great bodily harm), a level 5 felony; or aggravated battery with deadly weapon, a level 7 felony.He was to remain at the state hospital until Thursday when the review hearing is supposed to take place. Lindsey Nicole BlansettLindsey Nicole Blansett — The mother accused of murdering her 10-year-old boy Caleb on Dec. 14 in Wellington is scheduled to go before the court this Thursday, Jan. 8, at 1:30 p.m.Sumner County Court Judge Scott McQuin will determine whether Blansett, charged with first degree murder, is fit to stand trial, or will be sent for a mental competency evaluation. Blansett is accused of striking her son multiple times with a rock and a knife.Blansett first appeared in court on Friday, Dec. 19, but Judge William Mott rescheduled the scheduling hearing after her court-appointed attorney Mike Brown said he was still reviewing the case and had not had time to read all the reports to make a legal recommendation. Thaddeus MyersThaddeus Myers — The man accused of a multitude of drug felonies and escaping Sumner County authorities for about a month is scheduled for a court appearance this Thursday at 9 a.m. by Tracy McCue, Sumner Newscow — 2014 is behind us, but there was plenty of criminal activity the past 12 months to keep those working at the Sumner County District Court busy.Here are some court updates of news headline crimes from 2014: Alice Anderson-StilesAlice Anderson-Stiles — The 63-year-old Caldwell woman charged with two felony counts of theft after allegedly racking up $28,870 of unauthorized charges from the Corbin Rural Water District No. 7 from Jan. 14, 2011 to March 3, 2014 is scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Jan 15, at 1:30 p.m. Close Forgot password? Please put in your email: Send me my password! Close message Login This blog post All blog posts Subscribe to this blog post’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Subscribe to this blog’s comments through… RSS Feed Subscribe via email Subscribe Follow the discussion Comments Logging you in… Close Login to IntenseDebate Or create an account Username or Email: Password: Forgot login? Cancel Login Close WordPress.com Username or Email: Password: Lost your password? Cancel Login Dashboard | Edit profile | Logout Logged in as Admin Options Disable comments for this page Save Settings You are about to flag this comment as being inappropriate. Please explain why you are flagging this comment in the text box below and submit your report. The blog admin will be notified. Thank you for your input. There are no comments posted yet. Be the first one! Post a new comment Enter text right here! Comment as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Comments by IntenseDebate Enter text right here! Reply as a Guest, or login: Login to IntenseDebate Login to WordPress.com Login to Twitter Go back Tweet this comment Connected as (Logout) Email (optional) Not displayed publicly. Name Email Website (optional) Displayed next to your comments. Not displayed publicly. If you have a website, link to it here. Posting anonymously. Tweet this comment Cancel Submit Comment Subscribe to None Replies All new comments Marcus Peters — The 25-year-old Arkansas City male, who was accused with a shooting in Oxford during a family barbecue on June 29, 2014, has pled guilty to criminal threat, a level 9 felony. Three other counts including two felony counts for aggravated assault with a firearm were dismissed. His sentencing is set for Thursday at 9 a.m. in Sumner County District Court.Marcus PetersPeters also pled guilty to two charges of burglary of a dwelling in Oxford and Belle Plaine which took place on June 9. Peters received two years of jail time and two years of probation for the level 7 felonies. He is already serving time for a previous conviction in Cowley County and is currently in custody.Follow us on Twitter.last_img read more

Continue reading »

Comets no match for Senior Flyers

first_imgThe Fort St. John Senior Flyers welcomed the Manning Comets to the North Peace Arena last night. It was evident from the start that it would be a long night for the Comets as they Flyers dominated in all aspects and rolled to an 11-4 victory.The Flyers led 3-1 after the first period and led 16-10 in the shots on goal.Early in the second period the Flyers increased their lead to 5-1. By the time the second period came to an end Fort St. John had a commanding 8-3 lead.- Advertisement -With the game well in hand the Flyers added to their lead as they netted an additional three goals. Manning responded with a goal of their own to round out the scoring.There wasn’t a whole lot to say after the game given what transpired on the ice as the Flyers took the game convincingly. Head coach Gerard Dicaire said the team used the game to sharpen up the X’s and O’s of what they do on the ice.“There isn’t a whole pile to say about the game. It wasn’t so much about confidence but about not creating bad habits. Tonight I don’t know how many times we went over our set breakout. It’s good against a team like this to work on systems play. That’s what I use these games as.”Advertisement Scoring for the Flyers in the game were Rick Cleaver (3), Jeff Shipton (2), Joey Massingham (2), Robbie Sidhu (2), Cole Calliou, and Adam Horst.Next for the Flyers is a game on at home on January 17 at 8:30 against Falher.last_img read more

Continue reading »